January 21, 2011

Homeowner Lesson.


I've learned a few things since I became a homeowner. Last night, I learned what being a cold-climate homeowner can mean. Scraping the quarter-inch thick ice off the inside of the garage door. Yep, because the garage door is too heavy, with all of that ice on it, to be lifted by the motor. After a few frustrated pushes of the garage door opener button. Scratching my head. And a quick call to my dad, I learned what my problem was. Ice is heavy. It took MG and I roughly an hour, both working hard, to scrape all of the ice off. The garage floor had a pretty good covering when we were finished (also, our jackets, pants, feet, hair).
As I chipped away at the ice, with the handy-dandy plastic scraper usually reserved for my car windows, I was partly having fun and partly fearing an eye injury from the flying ice chunks.
*In the photo - that grey-ish spot on the garage door panel, is where the ice has been removed. Yikes!

Let me tell you, it's a relief to find out the solution to a homeowner problem will just take a little elbow grease!

No comments: