April 1, 2010

Fact or Fiction?

I just had a woman (acquaintance) say to me "I wish I could transform my body to be cute & skinny like you."
I thanked her for her sweet compliment.
Reality is, I'm fairly average-sized. I wear size 8 jeans, medium (sometimes small) shirts. I'm 5' 4" (not tall) and weigh 143 pounds. Based on health standards, I'm borderline over weight.
I am about 10 pounds heavier than I was in college. About 20 pounds heavier than when I was very sick with mono, the lightest point in my life (that includes when I was at the top of my athletic career).
Oddly, that was the second time today someone commented on my "skinny" body.
I admit that I've been working very hard over the past 3 months. I've worked out a fair amount and (mostly) been eating healthy. I have lost about 8 pounds. I'm fit-looking and I think I'm in decent shape. So, why is it that other people think I'm skinny/healthy looking yet my BMI says I'm borderline over weight?
Do the numbers lie? Can we be healthy even though our weight is higher than recommended by health standards? Am I lying to myself? Or, am I actually at a healthy body weight for my body type/build, like I think I am?

1 comment:

willikat said...

is it true that muscle weighs more than fat? if you're toning up you might not be losing tons of numbers on the scale (although, 8! hey! nothing to sneeze at!) you're carrying yourself taller and looking longer and leaner. go you!