May 29, 2007

incentives

new theory: if I have rewards to work towards, I might do a better job of reaching my goals.
hmm...perhaps I should establish goals first.

this year (just like last year), I resolved to exercise more. ok, great...more than what??? well, you could say that I am currently exercising more than ...um, someone who doesn't exercise at all. But I'm not even sure that I exercise more than my mom who golfs twice a week. Depends, what are we classifying as "exercise"? If I walk to the mailbox (which is down the street) does that count?

exercise: (noun) bodily or mental exertion, esp. for the sake of training or improvement.
ok, looks like getting the mail does not qualify as "exercise". Got it. Now for the goal: attempt the bodily version of exercise 3+ times a week. Ok, good. Now I have a goal. And, why would I want to achieve this goal? Sure, it's good for me, healthy, get in shape, lose weight, yadda yadda yadda... but, really? Why would I want to put forth this extra effort? I already run around all day long & seem to find way too much stuff to fill my time. I need an incentive to motivate me. I figure I'll start with a medium sized goal with a much sought-after reward.
Goal: (bodily) exercise 3 times this week.
Reward: Power Adapter for my iPod.
My goal may not seem like I'm setting the bar very high, but believe me when I say finding time to do much of anything these days is tough. I think this one will be a bit of a challenge, but a still attainable goal.
I did get up early (I hate that) to run this morning...1 down, 2 to go.

No comments: