November 12, 2007

Hobnobbing

How was my weekend, you ask? It was a pretty good weekend.
Friday night C & I worked at the Herb Brooks Foundation Gala event. There were a lot of hockey celebrities present. Although most of the stars I only got to admire from a distance, I did have the pleasure of getting within 10 feet of a few...
Mr. Hockey himself, Gordie Howe even made a slight joke while passing me. I also had the pleasure of seeing Kristi Yamaguchi with her husband, NHLer Mike Hedican. And I was standing within a few few of Justin Morneu as he handed of an autographed baseball that he contributed to the silent auction. It was a pretty fun evening. C & I sold t-shirts and pucks while extremely rich people bid on all kinds of gifts and prizes for both the silent and live auctions. I've never been to an auction before, but was an auction spotter on Friday night...which basically means I stood next to someone who was bidding and helped them be seen by the auctioneer. I was astounded at how quickly prices lept and how easily people continued bidding as the numbers reached the thousands of dollars. The most heated auctions reached the $9,000+ range with Morneau's baseball (signed by just him, but he hand-delivered the prize) raking in $1100 (which was paid in cash on the spot). A set of original stadium chairs from Lake Placid (present during the Miracle on Ice 1980 Olympic triumph) went for upwards of ten grand. But the big winner was a chance for a walk-on part in a movie. You had to fly yourself to Hollywood, and received 2 nights hotel stay and a walk-on audition...all for the small fee of $20,000! Yes, TWENTY-THOUSAND DOLLARS! The money goes to a great cause - youth hockey. But I was so astounded at how quickly the bidding jumped in 500 to 1,000 dollar increments. I can't imagine having that kind of bankroll to bid thousands of dollars right on the spot like that...but it was a pretty cool thing to witness.

Saturday was pretty dull compared to Friday's hobnobbing. I cleaned my entire house from top to bottom. Let me tell you, it needed it! And now it's all sparkly and fresh smelling, YUM! I then headed out to do some Christmas shopping...yeah, I said Christmas shopping. And now I'm about 75% done =) YAY! I found some really great deals. Saturday night some friends came over to watch hockey and play games. It was kind of a low-key night, but a good time.

Sunday I spent a majority of my day on the couch watching football with my sister and brother-in-law, and playing with my nephew. All-in-all a pretty fun, productive, and relaxing weekend. (and certainly a long-winded play-by-play blog)

Hope you had a good weekend, too!

No comments: