after mission impossible (the tom cruise original) came out when i was in high school, i always used to say to my dad: hasta lasagna, to which he'd respond: don't get nothin' on ya. every once in a while, we still say it. being the only child at home during my jr high and high school years afforded me a lot of inside jokes with my parents. (something neither of my siblings were overly fond of.)
tv has provided hours of one-liner entertainment in my life. i love quoting tv shows and movies, when appropriate (and sometimes even when it's not). i think i learned this from my brother, who used to randomly break out in "moon river" like chevy chase does in cadyshack. every once in a while, my movie/tv quotes get blank stares of confusion, but mostly people at least think it's funny (even if they don't get the reference). it's great when the quote pays off, and someone else picks up on the reference and takes it one step further. the other day, i couldn't help but laugh when c had a great idea, to which i said "good idea" and simultaneously we both quoted joey from friends: not just a hat rack, my friend (pointing to our heads). man that was funny.
not all of my one-liners come from tv or movies. (hey, this doesn't mean i'm unoriginal, does it? i steal material from all kinds of places, i guess).
pitter patter, let's get at 'er : hockey coach
what's up butter cup? : former boss
hola lola; and we laughed & laughed : ex
ya hear me cluckin' big chicken? : college roommate
yeah, dude : kd
shyah : killipino
super-fantastic : current boss
some of my favorite tv/movie quotes, bonus points if you can name where they are from...no cheating:
- pond, pond would be good for you.
- pivot. PIVOT.
- I like you Betty. It's Danny, sir.
- say hello to my little friend.
- shit twice and die.
- well, what are you waiting for? i don't know, somethin' great, i guess.
- no, no, no, lie down before you hurt yourself.
- 10,000 years can give you such a crick in the neck.
- Uh, whose car is that out front? Mine. 1970 Pontiac Firebird. The car I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!
- of all the gin joints in all of the world, she had to walk into mine.
- i looked for love, and i didn't find it. but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist
- dr rosen. dr rosen-rosen. dr rosen-rosen-rosen.
- let's kick the tires and light the fires, big daddy.
- wouldn't be any fun if they just fell over with their legs in the air.
- have you ever woken up next to someone, where you would rather chew your own arm off than wake them up?