February 9, 2009

fish...raw, please

I had my first real sushi experience a little over a year ago. My family went to Epcot, where my brother and brother-in-law decided they were going to eat something from every country. In Japan, they ordered up a sushi roll, taunting each family member to give it a try. I was a bit skeptical (I'm not a fan of lightly seared Ahi Tuna, the raw center with the grilled exterior grossed me out a bit). Sticking with my "I'll try anything once" motto, I gave it a try.
The wasabi was rather strong, but over-all, I liked it. I only had one piece, but was willing to try it again in the future. A few months later, that opportunity came. I'd always been afraid to try sushi on my own, having NO idea what to order. Friends wanted to go out for sushi, all you can eat. It was a perfect way to try a whole bunch at once. We gathered around the table, consuming copious amounts of sushi rolls. Delicious. I was in love right then and there.
I've only had a couple of sushi opportunities since then, but they've been enjoyable ones. Friday night, a large group went out to share sushi again. We ordered the treasure boat - $60 worth of raw fish. We gobbled up every last piece. I still don't really know which ones to order off a menu, but I do know that I very much like sushi.
The 4 Twin Cities locations I've had sushi at, listed from favorite to least favorite:
Ichiban's
Martini Blue
Wasabi
Saji-Ya

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your experience was a good one! I just don't have the taste buds for it maybe...